04 March 2015

Where Do Broken Hearts Go?

It's been a while since my last post. Despite my strong belief that law school will NOT eat much of my time, it has. In between sleeping and studying, I find it hard to throw anything else in the mix. Writing, reading, traveling, and shopping for make-up has been put on hold, indefinitely. It seems like of all my loves, law has taken over everything else. 

Despite the lack of time for anything else, it seems that one other thing has found its way in my crazy, busy school life. I tend to run away when confronted with things I do not want to deal with so I ended up going on a spur-of-the-moment, That-Thing-Called-Tadhana-ish roadtrip to the City of Pines, Baguio.

What was supposed to be a soul-searching, drama-purge trip ended up as a foodtrip, which I did not mind at all. Discovering new restaurants/hole-in-the-walls has been a hobby put on hold because of school, and this little side trip/discovery was definitely refreshing.

So this restaurant I'm talking about is Good Taste Cafe and Restaurant. The cab driver recommended it when we were on our way to the bus station going to Sagada. He said a lot of people patronized the place and that it would be worth checking out. Since our bus was scheduled to leave at 1 PM, and it would be a long trip, we decided to have lunch there.

Good Taste looks like a cafeteria. Big, busy, steel bars/ledges for the serving trays. I wasn't able to get photos of the place since I wasn't expecting to write about it. We went there just so we wouldn't die of hunger during our 6-hour trip to Sagada. But the food surprised us.

Since Gus didn't want to eat rice, he ordered a small serving of Bird's Nest Soup. The small serving of Good Taste's soups is good for 2-3 people according to one of their servers but when we got the soup, it was bigger than expected.

Bird's Nest Soup (Small)
P105 

Believe it or not, this Bird's Nest Soup is only P105. Yes, made fresh upon order with only the freshest vegetables for just a little over a hundred pesos. I can't remember the last time I had food cooked with really fresh vegetables so I went gaga over this one.

As for me, I am and always will be a rice person, so I decided to order one of their rice meals. We were already in Baguio, and since this city is known for fruits and vegetables, I decided to order a dish with the most vegetables, just to test if the vegetables here are indeed fresher and more delicious than the ones in Manila.

Chopsuey Rice
P90

Good Taste's Chopsuey Rice did not disappoint as well. I love how big their portion of rice (I can't say cup because that's one hell of a cup) was. I was really surprised, but in a good way. See how big that serving is? Both the rice and the chopsuey servings were huge. The chopsuey was also good! The beans, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, and sitsaro were all still crisp. You could taste the freshness with every bite. It's sounds too much but I guess that's what one gets when you don't expect much.

The servings in Good Taste were bigger than most restaurants that we were able to split both his soup and my rice meal and still feel fully satisfied after. And the best part is, we only spent P225! Oh, we also bought a lemon-cucumber juice for only PhP30. We enjoyed our meal so much that after Sagada, we decided to have dinner here again before leaving for Manila.

Hot Tsokolate with Milk 
P50

Misua with Quail Eggs
P105 

Tofu with Vegetables Rice Meal
P90 

Hot and Spicy Butter Chicken (Half)
P195 

Meal fit for 3-4
Just get an extra cup of rice

Our second visit did not disappoint as well. The portions are consistent -- huge servings, fresh vegetables, really good food. Where else can you get half a chicken dish for only PhP195?! And the misua looked plain but after dipping that ladle, we were surprised to find more vegetables under -- carrots, broccoli, mushrooms, cabbage, and beans. All for PhP105. 

Simply put, this restaurant is a MUST VISIT when you're in Baguio. Inexpensive yet quality meals for the hungry. The restaurant does not sacrifice quality at all.


Price Range: P180-300 for two people

5 out of 5 for Good Taste Cafe and Restaurant

Good Taste Cafe and Restaurant
Rajah Matanda Street,
Baguio, Benguet
(beside the Dangwa Bus Terminal)

No comments:

Post a Comment