18 November 2012

Taiwanese Fare: Lugang Cafe

A long overdue post on Lugang Cafe, one of the best xiao long bao places in Manila. Okay, biases aside, a really good Taiwanese dining place along Connecticut Avenue.

I heard of Lugang Cafe a year ago. Friends started talking about this new Taiwanese restaurant that served really good xiao long bao. The deal sites were just starting to gain popularity at the same time and I saw a deal on their famous xiao long bao so I decided it was about time for us to try the Lugang Cafe.

The restaurant was beautiful. It had a traditional-modern feel. The outside was made of stone bricks, and the interior was just grand. 



We started our dinner with their famous xiao long bao. We ordered two, 14-piece xiao long bao servings. Yup, we didn't realize we would be eating seven pieces of xiao lng bao each. It was a good thing there were four of us. I guess the excitement got in the way of our logical thinking.

14-piece Xiao Long Bao
P248

But hey, it wasn't a bad thing. Their xiao long bao was delicious! It was served hot. The flavor of the soup inside was just right, and the meat's flavor complemented it.


 

For our main dish, we ordered a serving of Minced Pork in Spicy Peanut Sauce over Noodles. I think the noodles were a little too soft, but the sauce was alright. It had just the right mix of spice and nuttiness to it. And honestly, we made the right decision to order just one because after eating the xiao long bao, we were stuffed!

Minced Pork in Spicy Peanut Sauce over Noodles
P230

This isn't how it's served, okay? I wasn't able to take a picture of the dish before we mixed it so I had no choice but to try and make my bowl presentable. :)

I also tried their Iced Cantonese milk tea. My mom and brother had the usual -- cola, while Gus tried the Iced Pineapple Bubble Juice. The milk tea wasn't bad, but it wasn't that great either. The iced pineapple, however, was very refreshing.



Although we were very full with what we've had already, we couldn't resist not trying one of their famed desserts. We tried the Bellazio Breeze, their most popular shaved ice dessert. It was humongous!

Bellazio Breeze
P248
And this was the serving size.


I guess the pictures and prices are enough to convince you that this is indeed a really good Taiwanese restaurant. But if the pictures aren't enough, then let me tell you. Lugang Cafe is an excellent choice for dinner. The food and ambiance is wonderful. One thing I didn't like though? Their staff weren't very attentive. I got tired calling their attention. Luckily, one of them made a difference. He was very attentive, friendly, and accommodating. We even had our picture taken with him. :)


My, was I fat! Disclaimer: This was taken earlier this year. January 2012. But that's not the point. This kind sir was very accommodating. He turned the whole bad experience around.

For a formal and delicious Taiwanese treat, try Lugang Cafe. It's worth every penny. I just hope their service has improved.


Price Range: P200-500 per person

4 out of 5 for Lugang Cafe (a notch down just because their service wasn't excellent)

Lugang Cafe


115 Connecticut St.
Northeast Greenhills,
San Juan
Phone Number: (632) 542 0196

Contact details courtesy of http://www.lugangcafe.com.ph/contactus.php

No comments:

Post a Comment