24 August 2011

on thin lines and thick lines: eyeliners

I'm no make-up fan. I don't love make-up but I do like fixing myself up. Since the day I noticed how bad my eyes look, especially my eyebags, I started paying attention to how they look. Concealer became my best friend. It wasn't until a couple of years later that I stumbled upon these eye-popping coloring materials they call eyeliner. They help divert the attention away from my under eye are, which I would really want to happen, especially when I wear my contacts.

Over the years, I've tried different kinds of eyeliner. The pencil liner, the liquid liner, colored liner. Then I discovered more like the automatic, no sharpening needed cream liner, the pencil cream liner, automatic liquid liner, and most recently, the pen type liner. When I was first trying out eyeliners, the most common problem I encountered was the smudging.

I rarely had air-conditioned classrooms back in college and most of my org activities involved me running around campus. No matter how made up I was, I almost always ended up looking like an emo zombie because of the smudged, black eyeliner under my eyes. I didn't know much about eyeliners back then so my only solution was to make sure I wipe away at the slightest hint of smudging, usually after running or sweating during hot, summer days.

I started with Maybelline's 2-in-1 Impact Shadow Liner by Eyestudio. It's supposed to be waterproof, as advertised, but I guess waterproof doesn't really translate to smudge-proof. I bought my first eyeliner when I was a freshman in college, and without prior knowledge on eyeliners, I quickly assumed everything that was waterproof was also smudge-proof. I guess I was mistaken because after a couple of hours, the sides of my eyes had black smudges from my eyeliner. Then again, it was actually a feature of the eyeliner. It doubles as an eyeshadow that's it smudges.

  • If you want a waterproof and smudge-proof eyeliner, don't get this one. It doubles as an eye shadow, thus, it can easily be smudged.
  • If you like the smudge effect, do get this. You can easily smudge it to your desired effect and it is waterproof.

Since I'm not big on the smudge effect because it further darkens my under eye area, I decided to look for a smudge-proof and waterproof eyeliner. Over the past two years, here are the eyeliners I've tried and tested to date.

I replaced my Maybelline Shadow Liner with IN2IT's Waterproof Gel Liner in WG01 Very Black after going around Landmark Department Store looking for the perfect pencil eye liner for me. Since I've had my fair share of bad cosmetic products, or those which do not deliver, I was a bit hesitant to go for something expensive or something popular amongst the shoppers. It took me two rounds and about five to six types of eyeliners before deciding to try this one out.

Comes with a sharpener

 Bold and creamy

 Doesn't smudge

 Easily removed with make-up remover

  • It is waterproof but can easily be removed with make-up remover.
  • It doesn't smudge, usually. There were times when I saw small smudges around the corner of my eye whenever sweat drops roll from my forehead, and in the waterline of my eyes when they tear up from yawning.
  • Since it is gel type in pencil form, it doesn't really last long. You need to sharpen it almost every time you need to use it. The tip becomes too round easily because of its creamy texture. It'll probably last you two-three months.
  • It was the cheapest I found at that time. P229.75. It comes with a really good sharpener.

Early this 2011, I discovered another brand, Majolica Majorca. It's the sister company of Japanese make-up brand, Shiseido. Since Shiseido is a trusted brand globally, I decided to try their only available eyeliner back then. The Majolica Majorca Perfect Automatic Liner in BK999. This was the only type of eyeliner when they first opened here in Manila last March. In case you're more of the pencil type eyeliner girl, their pencil liners arrived a couple of months back.


 Double layer since mine is almost finished

 Smudge-proof, waterproof

 Easily removed, no need for make-up remover

  • This eyeliner is really smudge-proof and waterproof. I've tried wearing this one hot and busy day, and despite the temperature and buckets of sweat I had to deal with, it was still as perfect as the time I first applied it. Even if I had to wipe my face with tissue, it was still perfectly drawn on my eyelids.
  • Even if it is waterproof, you won't need any make-up remover to remove it. Simply washing your face with a facial wash or soap, is enough to remove the liner.
  • The packaging of the eyeliner looks great too. It looks regal because of the gold outlines on the black casing of the eyeliner. It will make you feel like a fairy tale princess, just as they advertise!
  • It comes in different colors including red, brown, blue, green, gray, and black.
  • It's not easy to apply though. Unless you're already an expert in applying eyeliner on your lids, I suggest you use the pencil type first. This one's a bit tricky since it's in liquid form and it comes out automatically when you twist it. (That's the only way you can control it.) 
  • It is a bit expensive though. Each costs P695. O_O
  • Unlike other liquid liners you can use up to the very last drop, you can barely use it once it's almost finished because oil mostly comes out instead of the tint.  Even if  you shake it before you use it, the oil that comes out overpowers the tint. It's like mixing oil and water, and trying to cover your eyelids with it. Not a pleasant sight.

After my blind date with MM's Automatic Liner, I went on a search for the really perfect eyeliner for me. Though I've tried and liked the past few liners I had, I believed, I hoped, there was still a better one for me. One that won't smudge and would be easy to apply. The next one I tried was Etude House's Oh~ m' Eye Line in 01 and 02. I wanted to be adventurous so I got the gray shade, but, the classic person in me made me go back for the traditional black tint. Thus, my two shades.

Gray (L), Black (R)

Trying to remove with make-up remover, needs a bit of effort to remove completely :)

  • For a liquid eyeliner, this one was easy to apply. The brush was fine and did not produce clumps when I applied it on my lids.
  • Very petite packaging/design. Not to bulky for a liquid eyeliner.
  • Very cheap. This one is just P198 each.
  • According to the SA who attended to me, this was cheaper because it isn't waterproof. It is smudge-proof, however. But when I tried it, I found it to be both smudge and waterproof. Unless you scrub it out with water, but even that too, proved to be a bit difficult in removing the liner.
  • It's quite difficult to remove, even with make-up remover. I had to lightly scrub a few times before I got it off completely.
  • There was a slight sting when I first applied it on my lids. I don't know if it was a reaction on my eyelids because I have yet to try it on again and observe. I kinda enjoyed the easy application that I forgot about the stinging sensation afterwards. :[

Finally, there was IN2IT's  Waterproof Eyeliner Pen in EP 01 Very Black. I had to go around SM Cubao's cosmetics area when Gus and I passed by a few weeks back, and this SA from IN2IT just approached me and recommended me this eyeliner pen when I asked for their eyeliners. This is actually my current favorite because I was impressed with it when the SA tried it on my hand.

Felt tip type pen

 Easily glides to desired curve

 Easily removed by make-up remover too!

  • Smudge and waterproof. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • Easily removed by make-up remover.
  • Very easy to apply. Because it's in pen form, it easily follows your eyelid curve. It's like drawing on your eyeliner with a felt tip pen.
  • Reasonably priced at P329.75.

It's been about two years since I got my first eyeliner so I couldn't post a picture of it. I took the pictures you see here using my phone and iPod so please forgive the resolution and lighting. These are just my opinions on the eyeliners I've tried so far. In general, they are all good, though I may be biased on the ones I can easily use since my hands sometime shake when I try applying eyeliner. Not so much of an expert here! If you have other questions I may not have addressed yet, feel free to ask me in the comments section. :)

I also write about my foodtrips and drama marathons so if you're interested on any of them, just keep checking my blog for new updates. ^o^


Where to find these items:
Maybelline, IN2IT - Mall Department Stores, Health and Beauty Section
Majolica Majorca, Etude House - SM Department Stores
Etude House Boutiques - selected SM Malls (SM Megamall, SM North Edsa, SM Davao, SM Masinag, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment