22 February 2012

MUA Experience 101: December 2011

I am no make-up artist. I just enjoy hiding my pimples, pimple scars, EYEBAGS. That's it. The first time I learned about make-up was sometime during my late elementary years. My best friend was a looker. And with that, she possessed different sized, and colored foreign objects. A cylinder with colored, "clay-like" paint inside, pink powder, powder that came with a built in mirror, black, sticky liquid that's supposed to make your lashes longer, etc. Being the nerd that I was back then, I never really knew what these were, and what they were for. All I knew was that, these things make a woman, beautiful. Oh yes. For a smart kid, I was pretty shallow and stupid.

Now that I know just a little bit more about make-up, I was asked by my boyfriend's sister to help her put some on for a friend's debut. I am not promoting myself as a make-up artist, nor is this a tutorial. I'm just documenting my first ever, official make-up session with someone else. I have yet to learn so much more about make-up, and creativity before I can teach others professionally, or make a living out of it. For the pros out there, constructive criticisms, and tips are very much welcome. :) Here is my first try at being a make-up artist. 

Model: Gin Yu

Products Used: Skin Food Black Egg Pore Primer, MAC Studio Finish Concealer in NC20, Etude House Precious Mineral All Day Strong BB Cream in Sheer Glowing Skin #2, Etude House Nymph Aura Volumer #2, herbench/ Paintbox PrettyWhenPinched, MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation in NC30, (not shown in photo) Majolica Majorca Jeweling Eyes Eyeshadow Quad in PK785. (Model's Own) IN2IT Eyeshadow Duo in CE39 Natty, Fashion21 Eyeliner in Black, MAC Frost in AC9.


I prepped her face by applying Skin Food's Black Egg Pore Primer. From what I've been told, this will help the make-up stay longer on her face. I evened out the color of her under eye area with the rest of her face by applying concealer on it. I used MAC's Studio Finish Concealer in NC20, and applied it using a "tapping" motion. After applying concealer, I combined EH's Precious Mineral All Day Strong BB Cream #2 with their Nymph Aura Volumer #2 in a 3:1 ratio, and smoothed it all over her face. The volumizer will give her look a certain "glow".

I let her make-up set for a while before applying a dot of herbench/'s PrettyWhenPinched on her cheeks. I got a small amount of EH's volumizer, and spread it on top after. I wanted to make her cheeks glow, not just rosey matte.


Gin applied her own eyeliner on the upper waterline of her eyes since I wasn't too confident in applying eyeliner on that part of the eyes, and because this is where she usually applies it so there was no way I could line her eyes for her. Since I have yet to master the art of applying mascara, I decided to leave that out, and just curl her lashes the primitive way. Good thing she has long eyelashes, leaving the mascara out wasn't such a big deal. :) I proceeded with coloring her lids using IN2IT's Duo Eyeshadow in CE39 Natty. I swept a golden yellow shade all over the lid, and added a brown shade from the middle to the outer corners of her eyes. I used a pearly white shade from Majolica Majorca's PK785 palette to highlight her browbone. 

For her lips, I used MAC's Frost Lipstick in AC9. I finished the whole look by dusting MAC's Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation in NC 30 all over her face.


So, what do you think? ;)

Photos of model courtesy of Gin Yu.

No comments:

Post a Comment