09 January 2012

when cravings attack: Moshi Moshi

Last year was a year of cravings. It was the year I craved for the perfect fresh lumpia, the perfect green mangoes with shrimp paste, the perfect orange quail eggs, and so many more cravings I wanted to satisfy. One of these cravings included a Japanese favorite -- gyudon. It started with one of our foodtrips in Megamall, where the gyudon I had tasted so sweet. From that day on, I've been craving for the perfect gyudon taste that will satisfy my taste buds. Nothing too sweet, nothing too salty, nothing bland. After months and months of searching and trying out different gyudons from different restaurants, I found one very close to home.


We decided to drop by Moshi Moshi to check the place out. It's a new Japanese restaurant located in the heart of Katipunan, right across Ateneo de Manila University. It was an interesting Japanese restaurant because they not only serve Japanese food, they also sell some Japanese food products like Kit Kat in Strawberry, Melon, and Cookies and Cream flavors. The interior was quite different from most Japanese restaurants I've been to. It wasn't formal, it wasn't too modern, or too zen, it felt like Japan, but not really. The restaurant's interior and lighting made you feel fresh, with its green theme, grassy area, and bright lighting. It makes you feel relaxed and at peace, without the common zen, or black and white features.


Now let's get down to the food. We only ordered three dishes because it was a bit late already, and they were about to close. My craving, Beef Gyudon; my favorite Japanese dish, Kani Salad; and milk tea.

I had the Kani Salad, and honestly, I had a bit of a hard time eating it because the lettuce was not shredded. It was arranged garden salad style, with the lettuce leaves piled one on top of the other. But that did not discourage me. I had to know if this Kani Salad was worth going back for. I plunged my fork into the pile of lettuce, crabstick, and mangoes, and took a bite. Yes, the lettuce leaves made it hard for me to just chomp the whole thing down, but, the effort was worth it! They nailed it! The right combination of all the flavors and the JAPANESE mayo on top! The mangoes weren't too sweet and they weren't too bland in taste too, so everything just made the whole thing delectable. It was also a very big plus that they used Japanese mayo. It makes Kani Salad taste even more delicious. 


Kani Salad
(P99)

Gus had the gyudon but he made me eat some of it because of my constant craving in finding the perfect gyudon, and he thought I might like this one because "it wasn't sweet, and it had just the right saltiness to it." True enough, this gyudon was really good. Better than the previous gyudons I had, which were either too sweet or just weird in taste. I enjoyed eating the gyudon  too much that I didn't notice I had finished it already. It is just a bit more expensive than most gyudons but I think it's worth it. The quantity made up for its P170 price.


Beef Gyudon Level Up
(P170)

Finally, the milk tea. We heard that the milk tea was not good so the management had to tweak it a bit, but when we finally tasted it, it tasted pretty good. I was expecting weird tasting milk tea, something either too bitter to taste like tea or something close to the taste of water, but no. If I had to choice among the drinks Moshi Moshi offered, I'd still choose my milk tea.

Milk Tea
(P55)

So what's the verdict? Is this place worth going back to? Definitely. For a simple late night dinner, we really enjoyed the food. The staff also greeted us with very warm smiles that it made our stay even more enjoyable. Who would want to have dinner in a place with rude and snotty attendants, right? Moshi Moshi is the right combination of good food and good service. With the bonus of having really good and relaxing ambiance. Check it out for yourself!


Price Range: P150-250/person

5 out of 5 for Moshi Moshi

Moshi Moshi
2/F Regis Center
327 Katipunan Avenue,
Brgy. Loyola Heights, Quezon City


Contact details courtesy of: https://www.facebook.com/MoshiMoshiPhilippines?sk=info
Photos courtesy of Gregory Yu.

No comments:

Post a Comment